Friday 20 April 2012

Gratitude Journal

I learned an important lesson from Miss Oprah Winfrey during Lifeclass. Keep a "gratitude journal." Write in it everyday about the things in your life you are grateful for. It could be anything. Something big, something small, just something you are thankful for. There will be times in our lives when things go wrong, we are sad, angry and unhappy. However, they can never compare to the things we take for granted. I haven't started my gratitude journal yet, but I plan on keeping one. 

I remember visiting my local library last summer, and I wasn't having a very good day. I was angry and hurt about something that had happened earlier that week. Just then, I saw one of the librarians (a young man, probably in his 30's) walking to a quiet corner in the library. He sat down on one of my chairs, and instantly started praying. Oh yeah, did I mention he was using a walker, because he had trouble walking? He had lost his ability to walk, yet he was still gracious enough to speak to God, and show Him how much he loved Him. At that very moment, I could not help but feel ashamed. When was the last time I thanked God for providing me with food, shelter and a fully functioning body? Never. Sometimes we forget how lucky we really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment