Wednesday 16 May 2012

Diary of 2 Cats: Kitten Edition (Part 2)

Pepper and Tiger had their first face-to-face introduction yesterday morning. They've seen each other through the door cracks, but this time we had them both in the same room. We kept Tiger in the carrier, and let Pepper walk around the room and explore. He sniffed around Tiger's toys, litter box, and even stole some food from his bowl! Pepper gave some mild hissing and growling. He especially seemed to growl when he smelled the litter box. I suspect he wasn't too thrilled to smell the urine of another feline. He hung around the room for about five minutes, and then he left on his own. Pepper's very gentle, but my husband and I still supervised the entire meeting. We wanted to make sure he didn't claw the kitten through the carrier. I don't think he would, but we still wanted to be careful. Now that Pepper is the bigger (and older) cat, he is dominating. Besides, this is his apartment, how dare another cat come into his territory.

We're going to try out another meet and greet later today, and do so once everyday for about a week, and take it from there. I know some of my friends and family are saying that having two cats live in the same house can sometimes take up to three months, but I feel like having them in separate rooms can really help the process go a lot quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment